Vacating Drug Convictions

Do you have a conviction in San Juan County for Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance? On February 25, 2021, in State v. Blake, the Washington Supreme Court held that RCW 69.50.4013(1), the Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance (UPCS) statute, is unconstitutional. As such, you may be eligible to have your conviction(s) vacated and/or be resentenced on your case(s).

If you have a UPCS conviction and would like to see if you are eligible to have it vacated, contact the Public Defender at Please send as much information as you can, including your full name, date of birth, and case numbers, if you know them.

The Blake decision impacts thousands of cases, so we appreciate your patience as we look through all the cases and respond to everyone’s requests.